Friday, November 6, 2009

My Halloween Experience

Once again I went to the mall on Halloween and had my happy fun with all the children, taking their candy and giving it to gang members. Some of the children put up a bit of a fight but most of them took their change in fortune with philosophical resignation. I was very proud of them. Of course most of these children were Chinese. Before they become Americanized Chinese children are very introspective about misfortune. Oh, yes, of course they cry when their candy is snatched away but it is only a brief cry of surprise. Once they see that pursuit is futile they become very meditative. I can see their little intelligent Chinese minds trying to understand their sudden change of fortune within a larger, more cosmic perspective. I can see their internal struggle: "Is the universe malevolent?...or is it merely indifferent and it is I who must decide the final outcome of things...." It's very beautiful to see. The Mexican children are far less intellectually inclined. They merely cry or become belligerent. The negroes are usually just stupefied. The white children turn to their parents for some sort of explanation. There is such diversity among them all!! I love it. One little boy, a crippled child with leg braces, he actually made a valiant attempt at pursuit. Of course he did not get far before he fell on his face. He fell pretty hard and I expected a long wail of pain and frustration. But I guess he was used to falling and he just peered up at me from floor level. I was almost moved to feeling an actual emotion of empathy. Fortunately this passed very quickly and a good thing for I later discovered that his little bag of candy was filled with especially tasty treats which I later greatly enjoyed. I love Halloween.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home